Hospital bag is packed and all that there is left to do is sit and wait for baby! I ended up putting everything in a suitcase, which makes it seem like I’m bringing more than I am bringing. I was worried about bringing too many bags, and my husband having to carry them all. So we had a mid-sized rolling suitcase and this is what we decided to pack everything in. Below you can see what we packed for the hospital.
What to Pack: Hospital Bag
I broke up what to bring for each person. This is how I packed my suitcase so that I knew I wouldn’t forget anything. Obviously, not all of this is necessary. Some of the stuff will depend on your personal preference. After a lot of thinking this is what I decided to bring, and I found it helpful to have on hand at the hospital.
- Hair ties, clips, and/or headbands
- Chapstick, lotion, makeup
- Nursing bras- I brought a regular bra and a sports one, I didn’t know what I would feel like or what would be most comfortable
- Warm socks
- Rubber flip-flops- for the shower and halls
- Robe- that opens in the front if you plan to breastfeed and for doctors checks
- Comfy pants and a shirt- for coming home
- Deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrush, face wipes
- Little shampoo and conditioner, body wash, brush
- Tums- I had horrible heartburn and acid reflux throughout the pregnancy and didn’t want to be without these in case I continued to experience it
- Tissues- we were told the tissues at our hospital were rough and my nose in always stuffed!
Think of anything that is going to make your hospital stay more comfortable. You may not be able to shower right away, so think of easy ways you can clean up too. Also, find out what your hospital provides, ours provided a lot of stuff for mom and baby and so we didn’t need to bring those items (like lanolin, tucks, nursing pads, wipes, ect.)
- Swaddle- we brought two, one to wrap baby in, and one we could have my mom take home to the dog
- 3 Onesies- one was a cute outfit for pictures 🙂
- 2 Going home outfits- in case one got dirty as we were about to leave
- Burp clothes
- Wipes and diapers- our hospital provided these, but I wanted some just in case
- Nail clippers- I wasn’t sure if I’d need them, but they took up basically no space
- Socks and mittens
- Deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrush
- Rubber flip-flops and swim trunks- our hospital had a shower in the labor rooms, so in case I used the shower we brought these
- Change of clothes
- Computer and charger
- Camera, extra batteries, battery charger
- Phone charger
- Change for vending machines
- Plastic bag for soiled clothes
Our hospital had free wifi that they gave us the password too, so we didn’t bring any DVD’s. We just logged into Netflix to watch The Office. I did have my husband make a special playlist for us that was full of songs we liked and could rock out to. I really enjoyed having the music and the distraction of the tv show. I like to have background noise, so it was important for me to have that noise distraction. What did you pack, or what would you add?