My son is very in to cars, planes, and trains, so my first plan was to go with something like that. I had a chalkboard sitting in the garage and thought I would make a little DIY chalkboard art decor to go in his room.
DISCLOSURE: This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase items through my links I may earn a commission. You can find our full policy here. Thank you.
First, I had to come up with what I wanted on the sign. I found a quote that I thought was cute and explained my 3 year old well. “Planes, Trains, Trucks, and Toys there’s nothing quite like little boys”.
I’m horrible at freehand writing. I knew I wanted this chalkboard sign to look a little more perfect.
I went into photoshop and created a cute graphic that I liked for my DIY chalkboard art. I printed it out so that it would fit the chalkboard sign perfectly.
Once printed, I taped the sign together. Now here’s the fun part!
When you’re done, you’ll have a light chalk outline of all the letters and shapes on your chalkboard. I went over this outline with a chalk pen.
Be careful when using chalk pens, depending on your chalkboard, it may not come off! But I wanted this to be a pretty permanent sign, so I was ok using it.
That’s it! It’s super easy to get perfect chalkboard lettering!
- Print out the saying on paper to the size that you want.
- Flip your paper to the backside and cover with a layer of chalk.
- Tape paper with the saying facing up on your chalkboard.
- Outline the letters/graphics with a pen or pencil with a medium to hard pressure.
- Carefully remove the paper, you should have a faint outline of your saying left on the chalkboard.
- Use a chalk pen to trace over the outlined letters and graphics.
I also made a sign for my front porch using a very similar technique!