I created this DIY pirate chest to be used as a card-box for a pirate themed bridal shower I threw for my friend. Aren’t themed parties just the best kind of parties?
I love being able to create something special for each of the parties I throw. But I hate just throwing away all of my creations after the party is over.
If I’m going to make something, I want to be able to reuse it. Whether that’s for another party at a different time, or if I’m able to use it in my house. This DIY treasure chest is just that type of project.
DISCLOSURE: This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase items through my links I may earn a commission. You will not pay more when buying a product through my link and you do not have to use my links. You can find our full policy here. Thank you in advance for your support.
As I’m sure you know, I hosted a pirate themed bridal shower for one of my best friends. You can check out these awesome ocean-themed centerpieces we used on the tables.
To keep with the pirate theme, I created this wooden treasure chest to use as a card box. It’s the perfect size to fit multiple cards, but not too large that its hard to carry around.
DIY Pirate Chest
It was so easy to make a treasure chest! Hobby Lobby sells the perfect wood box to use as the base of your pirate chest. They even have a small wooden treasure chest that matches this one. I was able to use that one for a fun ring game!
Don’t worry if it tarnishes them too much. You can take a rag with some water and wipe it away. But I love the extra worn look that it gives the wooden treasure box.
I also stained the inside of the box, just so that it would be a fully finished piece in case anyone looked inside.
Once the box was completely stained, I used hot glue to add some decorative netting and gems to make the treasure chest look like it was found in a cave somewhere.
I also added some gold coins. If you want the lid to stay open, you’ll need to build up some of the gold coins on the side of the treasure chest to prop the lid up.
I love this project because it’s great for a kids treasure chest too! I’m going to be using it for my kids birthday party as well! It’s so versatile.
And then once all the parties are over, you can use this DIY wooden chest as decor in your kids rooms or anywhere else in your house!
- Wood box
- Optional Supplies:
- Hot glue sticks
- Decorative fish netting
- Gold coins
- Hot glue gun
- Stain your box. Since I used my DIY Stain, I applied the stain twice. Follow the directions on your stain if you use something different.
- Wax box and allow to dry overnight. (Again since I used the DIY stain, I waxed the box after then allowed to dry overnight.)
- To give your box an extra special feel, apply decorate netting and gems.
- Drape the netting over the front inside the wooden box. Apply hot glue to the inside of the box and attach the netting to it.
- To apply gems to the netting, take your hot glue gun and apply gems/pearls, coins sporadically around the netting.
- If you want your box to stay open, glue a couple gold coins together and then glue to the opening of the box in the back. This will leave the box half open.
There you have it! Your very own DIY pirate chest! I can’t stress how easy this project was. Using the wooden treasure box from Hobby Lobby makes this one of the easiest DIY’s ever.
You can use this for parties, as decoration for Halloween, or even as a toy storage in your kids rooms!
How did you enjoy this DIY pirate chest? I would love to see if you make this and how you make it your own!