I love toilet paper roll crafts. Toilet paper rolls are so easy to come by, practically free, and an easy way to reuse something that would otherwise end up in a landfill. These DIY fake candles are super easy to make and make great gifts, although make sure you make enough for yourself too!
DISCLOSURE: This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase items through my links I may earn a commission. You can find our full policy here. Thank you.
You can also make these DIY drip candles with PVC if you want them to last longer or use them outside. But I like these toilet paper ones because they cost less.
Toilet paper rolls are so easy to come by. Just save them for a couple weeks and you’ll be able to make more candles then you know what to do with!
These toilet paper roll candles are so easy to make. You really only need hot glue and paint.
But toilet paper rolls are really light on their own. I’ve made these without rocks, and they just keep falling over. So I’ve added a few extra things to make sure they are heavy enough to keep from falling over.
Flameless candles are still needed as well. If you want them to really light that is!
I like the candles that come with a remote and timer because they are easy to use. These are all over the house, I think I’m up to 15 now.
I love the mood they create and they are so inexpensive! These toilet paper ones are basically the cost of the flameless candles.
Toilet Paper Roll Crafts – DIY Fake Candles
For these DIY fake candles, you need kind of a lot of supplies. But they’re much easier to make then they sound! You can watch the video below for a full tutorial.
Make a hot glue circle on your wax paper and glue the rock in the middle. Then glue the toilet paper roll over the rock. Fill the inside of the toilet paper roll with newspaper.
After the glue dries, you can rip or cut the wax paper off. The wax paper makes sure the bottom of the candle looks nice.
I needed a pocket to put the flameless candles on. So I used washi tape to create a pocket.
Put the sticky side down over the newspaper and tape it up the sides of the candle. Use your flameless candle to decide how deep you need the pocket to be.
I like the edge of the candle to sit flush with the edge of the toilet paper roll. Now the fun part! To actually make this look like a candle!
Making it look like a Candle
Use your hot glue gun to build up the top of the toilet paper roll and make drips down the side. I like lots of drips. I also like to build up the edge unevenly, to make it appear more like a real candle that’s been burning.
You need to let the hot glue dry a little bit between applications, to make sure it doesn’t get too runny and stay where you want it.
After you have the candle drippy like you want, it’s time to paint. You can actually make these in any colors you want! Would be awesome for Halloween or even wedding decor.
I wanted my candles to look an aged white. First apply your white paint. And then add dark wax or water downed dark paint. Wipe off the paint or wax to get an antiqued look.
Seriously, so easy and fun to make and you can use them all over your home! They also make fantastic gifts.
- Hot Glue Gun
- Paint Brush
- Lay down some wax paper and trace your toilet paper roll onto the wax paper.
- Put hot glue all around the circle and fill the middle with hot glue. Place a rock in the center and then place your toilet paper roll in the hot glue.
- While waiting for the hot glue to dry, stuff the toilet paper roll with newspaper.
- After the hot glue has dried, rip/cut the wax paper away from the sides.
- Take your flameless candle and measure how deep you need it to sit. Take your washi tape and tape it to the inside of your toilet paper to make a well for the candle to sit in.
- Use your hot glue gun to add drips around the top of the toilet paper roll. Do this as much or as little as you want.
- Paint your candle with white or cream chalk paint.
- Mix up some dark grey/black chalk paint with water. Then, paint on the mixture onto your candles and wipe off to create an aged look.
- Clear wax the candles to preserve the paint.
The rock is used to weigh the toilet paper roll down so that it won't fall over, otherwise it will be too top heavy.