I know I’ve said it before, but this is my favorite time of year. We have just come off the high of the holidays, being able to spend time with friends and family, and now we are about to transition into this new year. It’s great that the new year comes right after all that holiday madness. I’m usually feeling fresh and focused on getting my house and myself ready for all that is to come, which means lots of cleaning, organizing, and reflecting. I have been using this past week to do just that. Since is been on my mind, I thought I would share and reflect on some of my accomplishments from the past year and to also share some new years resolutions for the coming year.
Looking Back on 2015
2015 was such a big year for me both personally and professionally. It’s my second year in business and my first full year living in Ventura County. We were able to experience so many wonderful things up here, and I have to say I love living so close to the beach and just the culture of this area. My business continued to grow and I can’t wait to see where 2016 takes me. Here are some highlights from the year.
- My precious puppy turned three and we did a wonderful Cake Smash session for her! I’m pretty sure photos of her will be a yearly thing from now on 🙂
- Hubs and I took a trip to San Fransisco. It was our first time there together, I’d been once before but I was really young, and we got to see a game at Giant’s stadium, which was pretty awesome
- Took our motorhome out on its first camping trip. One of the reasons I love living up here so much is because we are so close to Carpinteria, which is one of the places we used to camp when I was younger and I love it there! Looking forward to many more trips in our Mini Winnie
- Completed my 365 project! The last two years I have made resolutions to complete a 365 project, but for 2015 I decided to do only a personal one, just take a picture of something that I did every day of the year and write a little description. Technically I haven’t completed it until I take the last photo on December 31, but I’ve come this far and know there will be plenty of pictures from today! I’m pretty excited about finally accomplishing this and can’t wait to make my book and share it with you!
- I was able to explore the commercial side of my business more which was one of my resolutions last year. I had multiple shoots with a truck company I work with, did product shots for a purse company and a make up company.
- Dabbled in some new genres of photography. I have fallen in love with Cake Smashes and Lifestyle photoshoots and am hoping to do more of both of these in 2016.
- I also blogged a whole lot more in 2015! One of my 2015 resolutions was to blog once a week, every week, and while i’m not there yet, there us information on the blog now besides just photo sessions. Hopefully this will help my clients more in deciding what to wear or where to have photo shoots.
Looking Forward to 2016
- Read a book a month. I’ve attempted resolutions like this in years past, but this year I have made myself an Amazon list with all the books I want to read. It will be a mix of books about business and books about history. I’m a big history buff, and I figured this would be a nice balance. I’m hoping to blog about each book I read.
- Continue my 365, or 366 for 2016, project. It’s really fun to look back on all the things that I’ve done in my personal life over the past year, and have a photo for everyday. It was a lot of work to put it all together, but it’s definitely worth it in the end.
- Blog more! My goal would be to blog one to two times a week, every Tuesday and Thursday. This is a number I have been trying to get up to since I started my business. While I have a lot I want to say, sometimes staring at that blank page is so hard!
- Shoot more. I was carrying my camera around with me everyday, and I’ve gotten lazy, partly because most days I never took it out of the bag. I want to make more of an effort to shoot more for myself and go on photo excursions just because.
- Book more clients. This is kind of an obvious one! I want my business to grow and in order to do that I need to book clients! I plan to put myself out there more, as I tend to be a little shy, especially when it comes to promoting myself to new people. So in an effort to book more clients I’ll offer anyone who mentions this blog post 10% off a session. Just contact me to book 🙂
Those are my main resolutions for 2016. I think I could probably write out a ton more, as I’m feeling very hopeful about being able to accomplish everything! But in the interest of keeping this post brief, and not getting over my head I’ll only post these 5. 2016 is going to be such a fun and busy year! I can already tell that there will be some big changes coming. I have signed up for some mentoring courses and one-on-one sessions in order to really challenge myself to grow and change my business this next year. I want to continue to focus on growing my talent and offering my clients beautiful portraits that document this time in their lives. If you’d like to follow along on my journey as I continue to grow this business please follow me on Instagram and Facebook. I’d love to connect with you!